Saturday, November 15, 2014

Goodbye Grumpy Face?

We'll have to wait and see but it kind of looks like the instances of grumpiness of this house have been vastly reduced by cutting dairy out of my diet.

It was pretty easy to guess the likely culprit this time, since two out of the other three kids can't have dairy.  I'd figured that if dairy didn't have an effect on James' reflux and discomfort I'd try wheat next (since two out of three also can't have wheat) but it looks like dairy is the culprit.  James has been sleeping much, much more soundly and has been spitting up maybe once or twice a day instead of twenty times a day... after cutting dairy out of my diet for a grand total of two days.


When I took Patch to the allergist this last week I mentioned that the kids primary pediatrician doesn't believe that babies can have allergies and asked how young he had seen allergies in babies.  He said that his father, who works in the same practice, had seen a baby at one day old with food allergies and that food allergies were really possible at any age.  With our family history we think it's pretty likely.

Thankfully, despite all the spitting up, James is still growing and was in the 97th percentile for height at 22 1/2 inches at his one month appointment and the 75th percentile for weight at 10 lbs 10 ounces.  And hopefully he'll be a lot more comfortable now that we've (hopefully) figured out why his little tummy was hurting so much!

3 comments:

  1. LOL to the doctor who said babies can't have allergies. I wonder what caused my two month old to react to soy and milk protein at two months old. His face swelled to twice the normal size and he couldn't breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! When my son was a newborn, he would get a big, horrid, red, broken-skin rash/reaction around the ahem.... rump hole every single time I had dairy. I KNOW that babies can have allergies right off the bat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also had food allergies from birth as well to diary. So babies having food allergies is not a new thing. I'm proof that food allergies in newborns have been happening for at least 27 years.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!