Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup

One cooking that I miss with the kids allergies is cream of mushroom soup.  There were a few recipes that I loved that used it and I really didn't think I'd ever find a way to replicate it that my family would enjoy.  This year I tried my hand at coming up with a solution so that we could have green bean casserole. And I was shocked at how pleased I was with the result!


And so I decided that it deserved a place in the recipe section of my blog (which is one of the first places I look when I'm looking for recipes).

Here is my take on a gluten free dairy free cream of mushroom soup:
That would be the green bean casserole, made with
my homemade cream of mushroom soup.
Maybe next year I can figure out a gf/cf way to do
french fried onions...

Ingredients

18 large mushrooms (sliced)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 small sweet onion (diced into small pieces)
1 tsp thyme
4 tbs rice flour
1 cup unsweetened unflavored almond milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbs bacon grease

In a large saucepan add the broth and then the mushrooms.  Pour the bacon grease over the mushrooms.  Bring to a boil.  Cook until the mushrooms are tender.

Blend the mushroom/broth mixture in a food processor until the mushrooms are in teeny tiny pieces and everything is well mixed.

In another pan melt the vegan butter and whisk in the flower until they're combined.  Add the almond milk, spices and onion and then combine it with the mushroom mixture.  Stirring frequently bring the mixture to a boil until it's well combined and thickens!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely wonderful. I miss cream of mushroom soup. This will definitely be getting made sometime in the next week.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!